Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A little surprise!

I went out on the porch today to find that my broccoli had sprouted! I only planted it about 5 days ago so this was a surprise. I bought trimmers this weekend so I am looking forward to pruning away the "loser" sprouts.

I don't eat broccoli, but my husband and daughter love the stuff. I am very disturbed by the fact that broccoli has worms in it. Little tiny broccoli caterpillar looking worms. Disgusting. Apparently they soak the stuff you buy in the store in a salt solution so it comes out before you ever see it. You can bet I will be soaking that stuff and making my husband be the one to skim the critters out of the water!

In about 3 weeks we will be able to put in our raised garden. We will also be purchasing a spinning compost bin from BJ's (lots of research went into this!) and a kitchen compost bin (I like this one from Oxo). Pretty much no matter what kind you buy they are $20-30. I just noticed that it says 1-3 months for shipping though! I might have to re-think, I like these ones too but they just are not as pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment